Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes

Now that all my shopping is done (yay, Amazon!) it's time for the wrapping and baking. I've been trying out a few new Christmas Cookie recipes this year. I'm always looking for new ideas, especially for those that my kids will enjoy. So far, these cookies have made the cut:



Nestle White Chip Orange Cookies
I had picked up Swirled Holiday (white chocolate) Toll House Morsels after last Christmas (FREE after $0.50/1 coupons and clearance price - keep your eyes open for a similar deal this year!). I separated some of the chips and made red chocolate chip cookies for Valentine's Day and green chocolate chip cookies for St. Patrick's Day. The rest ended up in the freezer for a time such as this. These cookies worked well with the red and green chips - and my family liked them so much that the first batch has already disappeared! I baked a double batch last night, in hopes that there will still be some left for Christmas!


Gingerbread Men from Allrecipes
This recipe will be part of today's baking lineup. I was looking for a kid-friendly gingerbread recipe, and according to the reviews, this should work perfectly. No molasses required - and it uses butterscotch pudding, which is conveniently inexpensive at Meijer this week after Catalina savings! Instant pudding and/or vanilla pudding is also reported to work just as well, so I might use what's in my cupboard!

I plan on using this
 Vanilla Icing to decorate, as recommended by one reviewer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3-4 Tbsp milk
Mix well. Put icing in a zip-top bag and snip a tiny tip from one corner to pipe onto cookies.





Crisco Ultimate Sugar Cookies
I had been looking for a good SOFT sugar cookie recipe for a long time (like those Lofthouse cookies in the store!) - and finally found it a few years ago on my box of Crisco Butter-flavored sticks! These turn out soft and delicious every time!

Now for the BIG question: What's YOUR favorite Christmas cookie recipe? Of course, I understand that you have all of your baking finished (and shopping completed, presents wrapped and cards sent)....

2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling hopelessly behind this year - usually I make 10 different kinds of cookies. This year I told each member of my houshold to pick their favorite and I would make them (for a total of 4) - my daughter loves sticky dough sugar cookies to decorate, my hubby has to have homemade peanut butter cookies, my son wanted some break & bake cookies we had in the deep freezer and I have to have Snickerdoodles. We also made chocolate dipped pretzel rods, hot chocolate spoons, chocolate dipped oreo's, 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies for Young Marines and neighbors and 8 loaves of made to order banana bread for family member gifts. My kitchen looked like a flour bomb went off last night! Have fun baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just wouldn't be Christmas without making these: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vanilla-Butter-Rollouts

    But, I use a 1/3 recipe of this frosting (doubles as our birthday cake frosting recipe!) instead of the icing described: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Cake-with-Buttercream-Decorating-Frosting

    I also make these: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=29549

    We also make Walnut Tassies, Glazed Mixed Nuts, Eggnog bread, and lots of cheesecakes!

    Today, I'm getting ready to make a Cherry Pecan Twist Coffee Cake, something of a Christmas tradition in our house... if I can just get the kids' presents wrapped during naptime!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin